01 May, 2009

Sweet Weepin' Jesus

Christians are more likely than non-Christians to think that torture is "often" or "sometimes" justified. (Link goes to the story...) (1)

We screw up a lot of stuff in Jesus' Church. But this one really would seem like a no-brainer to me.

We really want to say to the world that Jesus is concerned about what our children watch on TV, whether teenagers take a sex-ed class, whether we say cusswords when we stub our toe, but when it comes to torture, he says, "Look, it's not really that bad. I should know...."? Reeeallllyyyy? (2)

Words aren't enough. But I wonder what the sound of Jesus slapping his own forehead in dismay is like.


much peace, much love, etc.
Clay

PS - I would like to say that those are really fancy cuffs Our Lord and Savior is sporting on his robe. It doesn't come across in translation, but the Greek manuscripts of the Gospel of John make it clear that El Jefe Del Universo is sartorially in the know.

(1) A new friend recently referred to CNN as "Constantly Negative News." I didn't believe it in the moment, but this might be enough to convince me.

(2) I hear this in a very sarcastic/whiny voice. You could also opt for the "Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura" voice. Either is acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment